Monday, June 19, 2006

SQL Server Strangeness

So I got up at 4:30 today in order to get some serious work done on FeedJournal before going to work or the baby wakes up. Well that was my plan at least. The first part went fine; I got out of bed, went for a short run and showered. By then the baby was awake though so I had to do some multitasking with one arm holding the baby, while the other hacking away at the keyboard. But that's actually much nicer than it sounds. Seriously.

Pretty soon I run into problems with my SQL database that has been working flawlessly until now. Whenever I tried to connect to it I was thrown an SqlException: "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." At first I thought it was due to an incorrect connection string but everything seemed fine and the database was in the right location. So I hit the waves of the WWW to try to find anyone with similar problems out there. Loads of people had run into the same problem, but in most cases they were using Remote Desktop, which was the root of their problems. I'm not using that, so I was left to my own devices again.

I tried to restart the development environment. I tried to manually restart the SQL Server services, but to no avail. It wasn't until I did a reboot that the problem went away, and now everything is working fine again. Crossing my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment